Zoology 12 (Teaching Hours 75)
Unit 1 Animal tissues (8 Hourss)
Epithelial, connective, muscular and nervous tissues.
Unit 2 Developmental Biology(6 Hours)
(i) Development of frog: Fertilization, cleavage, Morulation, blastulation, gastrulation,
formation of germinal layers, coelom and tissue formation,
(ii) Gametogenesis in animal.
Unit 3 Human Biology and Health (50 Hours)
- Nutrition; digestive organs and digestion of food,
- Respiratory organs and mechanism
- Circulation: Blood, heart and its action, arterial and venous systems (Major arteries and veins), Blood groups, Rh-factor, Blood pressure and lymph (definition).
- Excretion: Excretory organs, mechanism of urine formation, osmoregulation and homeostatic mechanism (temperature regulation, kidney and liver control system)
- Nervous co-ordination: Types of nervous system, structure and function of brain. Transmission of nerve impulse.
- Endocrinology: Structures, functions and disorders of pituitary, thyroid, parathyroid, pancreas and adrenal glands.
- Sense organs: Structure and function of eye and ear.
- Reproduction: Reproductive organs.
- Human population: Growth, problem and control strategies.
- Human Diseases:
(1) Socially significant: Drug abuse, alcoholism and smoking
(2) Communicable: Typhoid, Tuberculosis, Ascariasis and AIDS.
(3) Non-communicable: Cancer
(4) Concept of kalazar and hepatitis
Unit 4 Application of Biology(11 Hours)
- Antibiotics Vaccines (Type and application)
- Tissue and organs transplantation
- Test-tube baby
- Introduction to poultry farming and fish farming.