Unit 1 Anatomy and Physiology of Organisms (27 hour)
Types of tissues, meristematic and permanent tissues,
Internal structure of dicot and monocot root, stem and leaf, Secondary growth of dicot stem.
(i) Water relation: Osmosis, diffusion, ascent of sap and transpiration
(ii) Photosynthesis: Site of photosynthesis, mechanism and factors affecting photosynthesis
(iii) Respiration : Types of respiration, mechanism and factors affecting respiration
(iv) Growth: Plant growth hormones: Auxins, Gibberellin, Cytokinin.
(v) Plant movement: Concept of growth and turgor movement.
Unit 2 Genetics (32 hour)
- Elements of heredity and variation
- Genetic material (DNA and RNA).
- Genetie code Gene pool
- Genetic expression and its repulation: Basis of Mendelian netics,
- Mendel's laws of inheritans
- Concept of incomplete dominance and condominance,
- Multiple gene, Linkages.
- Crossing over.
- Mutation and its types and polyploidy.
- Sex-linked inheritance (X-linked gene for eye colur of Drosophila and colour-blindness in man)
Unit 3 Developmental Biology (10 hour)
- Reproduction and development of angiosperms - Asexual reproduction,
- Development of male and female gametophyte,
- Fertilization and development of embryo (dicot and monocot)
Unit 4 Application of Biology (6 hour)
- Introduction to biotechnology,
- tissue culture,
- concept of breeding technique Disease resistant plants,
- green manures.
- Genetic engineering and its application
- Fermentation technology: alcoholic and antibiotic fermentation